On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 20:25:48 +0530, mf db wrote:

>But I am not able to create and relate with same alias and I get a
>duplicate dataset entry. Here the background is that I am trying to use
>this alias in one of our proclibs.

If the alias has the same name as the related data set, it would seem
that the alias is unnecessary.

>On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Lizette Koehler wrote:
>
>> In 3.4 if you display the dataset and then PF11 - see if there are dataset
>> attributes.  If there is no space, no lrecl, no blksize, and so forth, then
>> all you have is a catalog entry and that is it.  You can create as many
>> catalog entries as you like that do not have REAL datasets underneath them.

But you can't create an alias unless the RELATEd DSN is catalogued.
Unless you call it a SYMBOLIC alias, and you can't create a SYMBOLIC
alias unless its name contains one or more actual symbols.  Silly rule.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:39:41 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>Aliases are most useful for PDS and PDSE members, and they are handled
>very differently in the two.

And both are even more radically different from catalogued aliases of
data set names.

Hmmm...  If a directory alias exists for a PDS (or PDSE) member, and
I EDIT and SAVE that member, what's the subsequent condition of the
alias?

-- gil