On 27 August 2013 11:29, Sambataro, Anthony (NIH/NBS) [E]
<anthony.sambat...@nih.gov> wrote:
>  I've done it via the SMTP server/address space with the TO: address being
> the service provider's convention. For example AT&T's convention is
> x...@txt.att.net where xxx is the 10 digit phone number.

You need to be wary of using those email to SMS services provided by
the carriers. For one thing, a user may change their carrier, and then
the messages will (probably) fail silently. But more important, such
an email isn't just a simple SMS. Many carriers require that the
recipient register to receive them (to avoid traditional email
spammers, and those who target <phone_num...@carrier.com>), and some
carriers even send an actual SMS saying "you have been sent an email -
go to this website to read it"!

There are SMS service providers who will allow you to use HTML or
other protocols to send real SMSs to just about any phone in the
world, with various SLAs and reporting. They aren't free, of course,
but neither are they expensive - at most a few cents for each message,
and down to around one cent in bulk. Typically they want you to prepay
by credit card, but for an enterprise customer some of them will deal
on more normal commercial terms.

If you can use TCP/IP from your z/OS to the outside world, you can
probably write something in REXX or the like that will deal with the
provider. Then you just need to trigger it from the appropriate JES2
exit.

There are many of these providers out there, with varying reputations.
Obviously you don't want to sign up with one that specializes in SMS
marketing (spamming), or in certain countries where you have no users,
so do your research. Google "SMS gateway service provider" to get
started.

Tony H.