A programmer came by today with a problem. He is sometimes getting a S0C4-4
abend in a COBOL program. This is a subroutine. One of the parameters
passed in is a data area, which can be of various lengths. It is defined
with an OCCURS DEPENDING ON with a data element within the area. I.e. the
first 05 level is PIC S9(5) COMP. The subroutine does a READ of a data set
into this area. This is where the abend occurs. The reason is because the
OCCURS DEPENDING ON maximum size is significantly larger than what the
caller is passing it. And the READ to the 01 is trying to pad the entire
possible 01 level with blanks.

The problem is how do I describe this to a COBOL programmer who just
doesn't "get it". He expects COBOL to _not_ pad the "non existent"
occurrences with blanks. And, if fact, to not even reference this area
wherein they would have resided, had they existed. I'm just get "deer in
headlights" looks. I'm not using the correct words, somehow.

--
As of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown