If I am not misremembering, Mr. Robert Heinlein's character Lazurus Long said:
"Ignorance is curable, only stupidity is fatal."

Second, let's try one more time to penetrate the thick cranial boundary in
question (not yours):

IF the FILE definition looks like this:

FD  IN-FILE ...  .
01  FILE-RECORD.
    05  FILE-REC-LEN        PIC S9(5) COMP.
    05  FILE-REC-DATA       OCCURS 1 TO 32760
                            DEPENDING ON FILE-REC-LEN
                            PIC X.

And the working-storage area looks like this:

01  WORK-RECORD.
    05  WORK-REC-LEN        PIC S9(5) COMP.
    05  WORK-REC-DATA       OCCURS 1 TO 32760
                            DEPENDING ON FILE-REC-LEN
                            PIC X.

Then the process will work BUT ONLY AS THREE SEPARATE STATEMENTS:

READ IN-FILE
    AT END (do endfile processing)
    NOT AT END
        MOVE FILE-REC-LEN TO WORK-REC-LEN.
        MOVE FILE-RECORD  TO WORK-RECORD.
END-READ

The reason that it does not work with READ INTO is that the occurs-depending-on
variable IS NOT YET KNOWN BEFORE THE READ for the working-storage record area.
The MOVE is done at the 01 LEVEL, and in this case the
TO-occurs-depending-on-variable must be set BEFORE the MOVE begins.  READ does
not do that for you; it never did and never will.

You might ask him how he thinks the READ is supposed to knows what the correct
value for the OTHER occurs-depending-on-variable is supposed to be?  Especially
if it is passed in as a LINKAGE SECTION item, the program containing the READ
CANNOT KNOW what that value is at the present time, NOR what its current value
is.  Rules of MOVE mean that the value must be set BEFORE THE MOVE BEGINS.
READ does not and will not do it for you.

If that doesn't make it all the way through the dense bony material with which
you are dealing, then I guess your answer is best: ignore the results.

Good luck.

Peter