Must have missed the GRSplex :) part of your post.

Still, when I think about it, a parm or cntl lib like I have with VPS is
DISP=SHR. I could update members from my development LPAR and I would expect
the VPS in my production LPAR to have trouble reading them.

In fact, that is exactly what happened a few years back. It is why I reverted
the VPS and DRS printer definition cntl files back to PDS. It's not the
serialization that is the problem. It's the missing signal to the other LPAR
that the PDS/E has been updated.