On 9/12/2013 12:25 PM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
I believe Tom Ross explained this, but some might have missed it.
The main reason, from what I've heard, is so that the 'debug' data
can be stored in a no-load segment of the program object.  Thus the
debug data will not be (automatically) loaded in to memory at
execution time, but will be loaded only if requested by a tool such
as IBM Fault Analyzer or IBM Debug Tool.  This eliminates the long
standing hassle of keeping the debug data "in sync" with the
executable.  And I for one welcome it!

Ever since Assembler F (OS/360), debug data in the form of SYM records has been available, in complete synchronization with the executable. It would not have taken much work to extend this to CoBOL to provide additional data, similar to the data available with the HL ADATA option.

So this may be a benefit of the PDS/E requirement, but hardly a necessity.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont