>At the very least, there should be a parmlib member with a list of data
>sets, analogous to LPALSTxx (LPADYNxx?), that the system will use to
>automatically populate dynamic LPA during system initialization at the
>earliest possible opportunity after PDSE support becomes active. At
>least this would do away with the need for every developer to "roll"
>his/her own solution.

I guess Ed was asleep during that TDM session in Poughkeepsie <grin>

z/OS 1.11 provided support for what I called "deferred LPA". This was
possibly not documented until 1.12.  But it's definitely in the z/OS 1.11
CSVDYLPA.

This is "dynamic LPA" done at the tail end of IPL using the LPA statements
of the IPL-time PROGxx specification, such as
LPA ADD DSN(my.pdse) MASK(*)  /* Add all members of my.pdse to LPA*/
Prior to this support, LPA statements within the IPL-time PROGxx were
ignored/rejected.

BUT rather than bring the IPL back from multiple CPUs to a single CPU at
this point to process all of this stuff and not proceed until it's done
(and thus defer the completion of IPL for work that does not care about
this), this processing is done in parallel with all the things like
IEACMD00 and COMMNDxx. Applications are given an interface by which they
can wait for the completion of this processing (which in all likelihood,
but cannot be guaranteed, will occur before they even start) if they have
a need to do so.   That is a programmatic interface (CSDYLPA
REQUEST=DEFLPAWAIT along with CSVDYLPA REQUEST=QUERYDEFLPA) as well as
"utility program" CSVDLPAW (EXEC PGM=CSVDLPAW or LINK EP=CSVDLPAW) as an
early part of a job that needs to make sure that something in deferred LPA
is indeed "in" before the job proceeds.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design