On 9/16/2013 1:26 PM, Steve Conway wrote:
Limited use is exactly what is under discussion, based on the original
point of LPA not allowing PDSE data sets  All the PARMLIB member needs to
do is provide a list of PDSE datasets to be loaded into LPA.

For me that's too limited; if NIP is to read any PDSEs, I would like it for everything (including PARMLIB and concatenations). For that the exit I suggested is too late.

If you want to do more than that, sure, an exit is ideal.  This is more
like an extension to LPALSTxx, and I'm confident you wouldn't advocate an
exit to replace that PARMLIB member, would you?

Why not? For one thing the exit could issue warning messages, or abort a load, for a member not flagged refreshable (or reentrant). But I've been programming years before OS/360 came out, and I believe in changing things that can be improved, without considering how IBM wants to turn zOS into a commodity.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont