On 17 September 2013 12:03, Kevin Minerley <k60ek...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>>Well I could if the .des files were kept up to date, but evidently
>>that's not happening. Which is exactly where we came in 29 posts ago.
>>If the .des files were up to date - in this particular case so that
>>the z/OS V1.13 file contained COBOL V5R1 as well as older COBOLs -
>>Charles would have had no cause to complain. There is surely no reason
>>to tie the .des file content to some now obsolete CD collections.
>
> The collection level .des file gets updated every time the deliverable gets
> produced and put in (usually) the
> root directory of the collection.  At least at this level, IBM is keeping the
> collection-level .des file current.  If you never intend,
> to download another collection kit, I am not certain that you will get a
> "new" suite of .des files.  You might consider
> downloading at least new "versions" as they usually involve a complete change
> of order-number/material ID.
>
> That "should" work even against individual products.  I have seen it
> successfully update r13
> docs that did not make the initial electronic-deliverable drop.
>
> Have you tried using one of the "newer" .des files?

I would if I knew where to get one. Softcopy Librarian offers only
choices based on the /epubs/df/ebrscrt.des file, and that has the
problems I mentioned above: The comments for the files it points to
don't seem to be up to date (e.g. the z/OS 1.13 collection is dated
Sep 2012, even though the update date on the directory is Sept 2013),
so it's hard to know what's a new file and what isn't. And then the
actual collection .des files don't seem to have the new material in
them, e.g. COBOL V5R1. Or rather, there exists no file *that is
pointed to by a top-level .des file* that contains a list of the COBOL
V5R1 pubs. Since IBM has disabled the ability to look at the
directory, there is no way I know of to find these things other than
by discovering an external reference of some kind, which can't be
automated.

Can you point me at one of these "newer" files so I'm sure we're
talking about the same thing?

Tony H.