On 17 September 2013 07:13, Kevin Minerley <k60ek...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>>If you're referring to my comment on indexes, this isn't what I meant.
>>I simply meant the .des files that contain pointers to the actual
>>books, whether in .boo or .pdf format, and the metadata necessary to
>>decide if a book is current or has been superceded. It looks as though
>>IBM is not maintaining those files, perhaps because Softcopy Librarian
>>has gone away along with Softcopy Reader, even though SL supports the
>>IBM-preferred PDF format quite nicely.
>
> All the electronic-only deliverables SHOULD have the .des file (it is usually
> in the root).  It still works with Softcopy Librarian (SCL).
> I usually test by installing the electronic-only then starting SCL to see if
> updates occur (and usually they do as more products are
> NOT on the main platform schedule then are on the platform schedule).

I don't know what that means ( main platform schedule vs platform schedule).

>>Easier than what? It was much the easier to let SL do the work...
>
> Before with physical-only media, it was all or nothing.  Now you can skip
> getting the entire collection, go to the Publications Center and only
> download the products  of interest (use the XKS shelf name to get the related
> docs).

But we are surely not contrasting with physical media. I haven't
loaded anything from a CD for years. For a long time I've opened
Softcopy Librarian, gone to the only "Internet source" I know of, SL
presents me with a list of "Product categories: like "z/OS V1.13 and
Software Products Collection", I choose one, and SL tells me what's
neen updated compared to what I have already loaded. Works great.

> Of course, you can still use SCL to update either the entire electronic
> collection or individual shelves.

Well I could if the .des files were kept up to date, but evidently
that's not happening. Which is exactly where we came in 29 posts ago.
If the .des files were up to date - in this particular case so that
the z/OS V1.13 file contained COBOL V5R1 as well as older COBOLs -
Charles would have had no cause to complain. There is surely no reason
to tie the .des file content to some now obsolete CD collections.

This would be trivial for IBM to fix, but somehow I have the feeling
it's not going to happen because it doesn't match someone's idea of
how customers should use publications.

Tony H.