From: "nitz-...@gmx.net" <nitz-...@gmx.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:33:11 AM
Subject: Allocation test

Can someone please run this iefbr14 job and tell me what the space allocation
is (number of directory blocks) on your system?

// EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD1 DD DISP=(,CATLG),DSN=TEST,
//       SPACE=(TRK,(1,0,0)),RECFM=F,LRECL=20,DSORG=PO

Note that I deliberately request DSORG=PO but do not provide a directory space
number.
In my case the job ends with rc=0, the data set is allocated, but ISPF gets an
I/O error when I use an "i" line command in front of it. The data set is
allocated as PDS.

When I change the space allocation to (TRK,(10000,0,0)), the job still ends
with rc=0, the data set is still a PDS, but now it is allocated with 66000
"maximum directory blocks" displayed using the ISPF line command "i". In case
you're wondering, the last PO data set allocated successfully using a batch job
had 66000 directory blocks, and in my opinion that number is (invalidly) used
for this batch job. Certainly the allocation behaviour is not consistent.

Can anyone confirm the same behaviour or is this just another quirk on our
system?

Thanks in advance, Barbara