> IIRC the (pseudo) eof is only written for SMS managed PS datasets, so a PO
> dataset could well be allocated over old data which will then be readable.
> Can you force the problem PO dataset to anther place by making sure the space
> for the 66000 dataset is still in use when the problem PO dataset is
> allocated.

We're dealing with SMS-managed data sets here. I used this job
// EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD1 DD DISP=(,CATLG),DSN=ALLO020,
//       SPACE=(TRK,(10000,0,66000)),RECFM=F,LRECL=20,DSORG=PO
//DD2 DD DISP=(,CATLG),DSN=ALLO021,
//       SPACE=(TRK,(1,0,0)),RECFM=F,LRECL=20,DSORG=PO
and got this:

Data Set Name  . . . : ALLO021
General Data                         Current Allocation
Management class . . : class          Allocated tracks  . : 1
Storage class  . . . : class          Allocated extents . : 1
 Volume serial . . . : SMS002         Maximum dir. blocks : 0             *
 Device type . . . . : 3390
Data class . . . . . : **None**
 Organization  . . . : PO            Current Utilization
 Record format . . . : F              Used tracks . . . . : 0
 Record length . . . : 20             Used extents  . . . : 0
 Block size  . . . . : 20             Used dir. blocks  . : 0             *
 1st extent tracks . : 1              Number of members . : 0             *
 Secondary tracks  . : 0
 Data set name type  : PDS           Dates
                                      Creation date . . . : 2013/09/19
                                      Referenced date . . : ***None***
                                      Expiration date . . : ***None***
                                      * Information is unavailable.

Note the 'information is unavailable'. So this looks like the invalid data is
gotten from DASD, not some storage area in the initiator. After deleting
ALLO020 and rerunning the job with only ALLO021, I get again the I/O error in
ISPF when doing an i (and a severe error on edit).

Barbara