ip4w...@gmail.com (J.P.) writes:
> Would just like to add what I've heared from several sources:
> Crypto is mostly solid, but implementations are weak.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#55 "NSA foils much internet encryption"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013l.html#56 "NSA foils much internet encryption"

How a Crypto "Backdoor" Pitted the Tech World Against the NSA
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/?p=85661

other recent refs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013m.html#0 UK NHS £10bn project failure
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013m.html#2 UK NHS £10bn project failure

recent posts about long ago and far away realizing that there were 3
kinds of crypto 1) the kind they don't care about, 2) the kind you can't
do and 3) the kind you can only do for them.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013d.html#1 IBM Mainframe (1980's) on You tube
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013g.html#31 The Vindication of Barb
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#69 The failure of cyber defence - the
mindset is against it
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013k.html#77 German infosec agency warns against
Trusted Computing in Windows 8
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013k.html#88 NSA and crytanalysis

we had been brought in to small client/server startup as consultants
because they wanted to do payment transactions on their server; the
startup had also invented this technology called "SSL" they wanted to
use, the result is now frequently called electronic commerce.

somewhat as a result of having worked on electronic commerce, in the
mid-90s we were invited to participate in the x9a10 financial standards
working group which had been given the requirement to preserve the
integrity of the financial infrastructure for *ALL* retail payments.
the result was the x9.59 financial transaction standard.

other experience from the 80s was the internal network (larger than
arpanet/internet from just about hte beginning until sometime
late '85 or early '86)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

which required all links to be encrypted ... in the mid-80s comment was
that the internal network had more than half of all link encryptors in
the world. there was usually lots of problems with national govs. over
encryption ... especially when links cross national boundaries (and
argument that helped was that the link went solely from one corporate
location to another). old reference to internal network passing 1000
nodes 30yrs ago ... and a list of all corporate locations that had one
or more new nodes added during 1983.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#8

in any case, the experiences help motivate the direction of x9.59 to be
purely authentication and didn't require encryption to hide information.
I've periodically commented that the current payment paradigm has
problem that account information is effectively used for authentication
... which requires that it be kept confidential and never be divulged
... while at the same time, the same information is required in dozens
of busines processes at dozens of business processes at millions of
locations around the globe. As a result, I've periodically commented
that even if the globe was buried under miles of information hiding
encryption, that it would stop information leakage.

In any case, one of the things x9.59 standard did was slightly tweak the
current paradigm and separate authentication informaion from business
processes information ... eliminating the requirement for information
hiding encryption in order to achieve the retail payment integrity
(which would then also eliminate the major use for "SSL" in the world
today ... aka hiding account information in electronic transactions).

In some of the old key escrow meetings ... I would stress that exposing
authentication keys was a fundamental security violation ... however
there were some quarters that would complain that people might cheat and
use authentication keys for encryption purposes.