Hi, I'd like to find out how much interest there would be in a wider
range and more up to date ports of common open source software
utilities and also more low cost utilities. Kind of like a z/OS "app
store" where customers could go to easily purchase or download for
free such small programs. (Leaving to one side for now the question of
how we get there!)

Would a mainframe client consider using software (applications, tools,
utilities, etc) in an app store like model, where the product
roadmaps, support, or updates are less well established, too risky?
Does your company have policies today that would preclude you from
using software in this model?

(Disclaimer: I work for IBM but am canvassing opinion in a completely
unofficial capacity.)

Cheers,

Dave

PS: apologies if you've seen this message before - I thought the
google group was a gateway to this list!