John,

We had a standard that nothing went into production that couldn't be completely supported by the programmer. Having said that we did have IBM utilities in production and of course some vendor utilities in production. How we handled it if it was a IBM utility I (or someone in the systems group) would help debugging it. BUT in 30 years I never had an issue with any IBM utility (we had one or two nasty syncsort bugs but that is slightly different, IMO). The vendor utilities were only allowed if it were say DB type utility and the DB people would help the the people out.
We would not allow CBT tape programs anywhere near production.
We once had a "professional" give out this one utility and it was used in testing. It broke and I was called and saw what it was I called the VP and it was never heard or seen after that. Any program that made it into production was "OWNED" by the person whose name was on it. He/she had to be able to debug it on their own.

Ed