ZIP is a poignant case. There exists a version of Info-ZIP for z. However,
our copy circa 2000 identifies the maintainer as one Onno van der Linden.
The Info-ZIP web site lists him as a ghost: once involved with the project
but without current contact data. So what shop would want to become
dependent on a now-13 year old product with, as they say, no visible means
of support?

In another case, our shop has standardized on SFTP for secure transfers. A
few years ago we found an open-source version that worked and appeared to
have current support. But the Apps folks would not hear of it. They
insisted that we buy an ISV version. Don't know the details (and would not
reveal anyway), but we found the commercial version pretty sucky. We had
to debug it and induce the vendor to make changes. They obviously had--at
that time--little serious mainframe experience or the means to test their
product thoroughly.

I'm not sure what moral these cases embody, but they illustrate the
difficulty of  taking a real business in an off-the-grid direction.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company