On 4 October 2013 04:15, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not one iota interested in compiling in ASCII. I've tried that before
> and it's full of holes. I always end up having to manually covert code pages
> to do simple stuff like write log output to sysout from a batch job.

I'm new to this list so wasn't aware that you'd done all that work
with Lua. Interesting - keep meaning to find the time to have a play
with it. By the way when we ported Java to OS390 we took the decision
to compile in ascii but that's partly because so much internal JVM
code is messing with ascii strings (e.g. from the bytecode).
System.out is then a special case because it has to convert to ebcdic.

The whole ascii/ebcdic thing is such a pain though when it comes to
porting open source stuff :(

Cheers,

Dave