On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:11:55 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>To test this properly requires either extraordinary timing ability, or
>getting a program which will OPEN a PDS for output without the
>appropriate ISPFEDIT enqueue and keep it open for long enough, say 10 to
>30 seconds, from a batch job or a 2nd TSO session with DISP=SHR to the
>PDS, and while  this is running with the dataset open for OUTPUT then
>trying other activity from batch or ISPF that requires an OPEN for
>OUTPUT to update the PDS while using SHR access at PDS allocation.  I
>have done those tests in the past and have also run traces on the
>ENQ/DEQ requests issued while starting and terminating ISPF edit
>sessions to be sure I understood what was going on.

To expose this, you might try in batch Rexx (schematic; untested):

RC = BPXWDYN( 'alloc rtddn(VAR) shr dsn(DATA.SET(MEMBER)) ...' )
address MVS 'EXECIO 0 DISKW' VAR '(open'
address SYSCALL 'sleep 30'  /* or more, to taste.  */
address MVS 'EXECIO 0 DISKW' VAR '(finis'
RC = BPXWDYN( 'free dd('VAR') ...' )

... and while that runs, try editing a member and saving it, or try your
DELETE program.

-- gil