shmuel+...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> Every generation believes that it invented sex. I won't guaranty that
> ALGOL 60 was first, but it was certainly before PL/I.

this has some PL/I history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/I

in the 70s ... lots of the languages were in downtown NYC in the
"time/life" bldg ... when that got shutdown, some eventually show up to
STL (now called silicon valley lab). This has reference to time-life
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP7090.html
this also has reference to time/life
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/1401.html

Then they outsourced PL/I to an outside company ... and transferred lots
of technology to the company ... including advanced code optimizing
techniques from other parts of the company unrelated to PL/I. this
results in some amount of uproar comments from around the company. a
little longer discussion in this past post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#71

this has some PL/I history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/I

it doesn't mention the outsourcing ... but it does mention STL launched
an entirely new compiler in 1992 (possibly part of bringing it back in
house).

it does mention work by the IBM Boston Programming Center ... which
was also in 545 tech sq ... multics implemented in pli on the 5th
flr, ibm science center on the 4th flr, and the boston programming
center on the 3rd flr.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013m.html#36
other posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

Jean Sammet was also at the boston programming center on the 3rd flr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_E._Sammet