jwgli...@gmail.com (John Gilmore) writes:
> Lynn Wheeler's numbers are arithmetically correct, but they are also
> problematic.
>
> Mainframe channels perform multiple concurrent I/O operations that are
> not adequately reflected in them.

my references have been IBM's published numbers for the z196 peak I/O
benchmark ... which doesn't have any reference to how many concurrent
I/O operations each channel is doing (i.e. even raising the issue could
be somewhat considered misdirection) ... but just how many aggregate I/O
operations peak z196 configuration can do. I actually have no idea
whether IBM's published numbers are arithmetically correct ... they are
just what the published IBM's numbers are.

several times I have discussed the evoluation of bus&tag channels,
lessons I learned from doing mainframe channel extender support in 1980,
interactions with the group that would release ESCON (a decade later for
es/9000 in 1990 ... by which time it is already obsolete), and being
asked in 1988 to help LLNL standardize some serial technology ... which
morphs into fibre-channel standard (and we had operational units in
1991). Later some POK channel engineers become involved in fibre-channel
standard and define an extremely heavy-weight layer that drastically
cuts the native FCS throughput ... which eventually ships as FICON

The IBM z196 peak I/O benchmark lists 104 FICONs (heavy-weight protocol
layer on top of 104 native FCS that drastically cuts the native FCS
throughput) and 14 SAPs getting 2M IOPS. Peak SAPs throughput is
published at 2.2M SSCH/secs all running at 100% busy ... but
recommendation for SAPs is keep to peak 70% busy or 1.5M SSCH/secs.

By comparison a recent native FCS has been announced for e5-2600
claiming over million IOPS (for single FCS) ... two such native FCS then
would have higher aggregate throughput than the aggregate throughput of
104 FCS with FICON protocol layered ontop.

posts mentioning FICON
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#ficon

One of the issues that I learned doing the channel extender support in
1980 for the IBM Santa Teresa Lab (since renamed Silicon Valley lab, at
the time, 300 people from the IMS group were being moved to offsite
bldg) was effectively simulation of dual-simplex operation with channel
programs downloaded (as data) to remote end of channel ... effectively
channel programs&data were written continously on the outbound channel
and data read continously on the inbound channel. There was no longer
any concept of half-duplex channel executing channel program with lots
of channel program protocol chatter back&forth latency making the
resource busy. Separate dedicated path for outgoing and incoming data
and throughput is purely the raw media throughput of the outgoing and
incoming channels (there is no concept of channel busy separate from
data being actually transmitted).

Part of the issue with serial fibre-optic for fibre channel standard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_Channel
and similar work going on about the same time with scalable coherent
interface (that I also got dragged into)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Coherent_Interface

was to trying to eliminate the increasing end-to-end latency penalty in
protocols. The objective was to move to protocols that just treated the
media as raw continuous transport.