I agree that the pool of talent is being diminished by deaths, low
recruitment because of poor perceived economic prospects, out
migration for the same reason, and---among the young---a perception
that the excitement is elsewhere.

This issue is, however, separable from that of competence to work in
the bowels of the operating system.

I do now a little regret the use of the adjective 'unwashed'.  I meant
it metaphorically not  literally.  As a practical matter I should be
entirely willing to work with [and downwind of] a competent but
malodorous sysprog.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA