From:         "Storr, Lon A CTR USARMY HRC (US)" <lon.a.storr....@mail.mil>
Sender:       IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:11:58
To: <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Extents limit for HFS (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

According to my personal notes

The restriction of 127 extents per volume (device) comes from the DEB: DEBLNGTH
is the number of double-words in the DEB (up to 255 ===> 255 * 8 = 2040; (2040
- 71) / 16 = 123).
The restriction of 59 volumes (devices) per DD comes from the TIOT: TIOELNGH is
the number of bytes in the TIOT entry  (up to 255 ===> (255 - 16) / 4 = 59)

Alan