On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Greg Schmeelk <greg_schme...@jbhunt.com>wrote:

> Thank you, Mike,
>
> As far as I know, DFSMSdss won't automatically build JCL for backups,
> inits, and restores.  We are looking to upgrade our process to a more
> automatic solution.  HSM is good for a lot of things, but I have found it
> to be wanting when faced with DR testing.
>
> I appreciate the suggestion, anyway, but I guess I should have been more
> specific with explaining my need.
>
> Greg

We use an OEM product called DBS. It was developed by OpenTech, which was
recently acquired by Rocket Software. It automates the creation of JCL to
do back ups (and inits and restores) of DASD volumes using DFDSS or FDR. We
have used it for backup and disaster recovery testing for _years_, very
successfully. In point of fact, the original OpenTech was (is?) located
close to our shop. We had their developers come to a couple of our D.R.
tests to see how we were using the product and the problems that we were
having. This resulted in a lot of ease of use enhancements. Which were
excellent. We still have a good relationship with some of the developers.
http://www.rocketsoftware.com/products/rocket-dasd-backup-supervisor

We also use the companion DBX product, which we use to do back up of
individual "critical" application data sets. And also TapeCopy, which
copies and stacks data sets which reside on virtual tapes onto physical
3592J tapes, making a duplex copy at the same time.

--
Wasn't there something about a PASCAL programmer knowing the value of
everything and the Wirth of nothing?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown