There are several options.

Do you have just the one DASD Storage array?  Do you have the ability to
replicate?  Will you be using tape for back-up?  Is it virtual or physical?

Will you be backing up the mainframe or open system or both?

Do you have DFSMShsm?  If so, you can use that for backup of files and
volumes.  It also provides the corrupt file recovery with BACKUP.

What is your SLAs for DR and Business Continuity/Operational Recovery?

Do you need to recover when data is corrupted but not failed? Do you need to
recover from a system failure? Do you need to recover from a failed Storage
Array?

Your shop requirements should be able to isolate what you need to do.  There
are specialty products for VSAM and Catalog, there are also more general
products for system backup.

DRVFI can read your SMF data and build the process needed to back-up your
files.

There are other products.

Lizette