On 22 January 2014 21:09, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> A coworker has observed that if he connects to TSO/E via VTAM then
> disconnects (pulls the plug; not logs out), he can reconnect.  If he
> connects via tn3270 and attempts to reconnect, he gets a new
> session.

What do you mean by "via VTAM"? Is your colleague using a real 3270
device? If not, what, and how is it connected?

> I can reproduce this.  Furthermore, if I logon initially with VTAM, then
> pull the plug, I can reconnect to the running session with tn3270,
> absent VTAM.

> What makes the difference?  We'd like to spare the overhead of running
> VTAM on a separate (VM, in this case) host.

Ah - I suspect you mean that you are using virtual local 3270s provided by VM.

Regardless, you can't connect to TSO without VTAM (or conceivably
TCAM!); there is no direct TCP/IP to TSO connection. You need VTAM and
TCAS in the loop, unless IBM has slipped a big change past me
recently.

Tony H.