There is now long experience with the PL/I convention that assigns a
source string that is longer than the [maximal allocated or declared]
length of the target string with 1) truncation on the right and 2)
silently.

It works well, at least where it is understood.  Complaints about it
among PL/I programmers have not occurred with any interesting
frequency.

I am happy that Peter Relson notes that the adoption of just this
convention is being considered for system symbols.

About Peter's other reactions to my posts I have only one comment.

I am a sworn enemy of the C nul-delimited string of "conceptually
unlimited length ".

I am not an enemy but rather a friend of the halfword [or, in
principle, fullword] current-length prefixed, i.e., PL/I character
varying, string, that may have any length L in the interval 0 <= L <=
X, where X is the allocated or declared maximal length and for
halfword prefixes X <= 2^15 - 1 = 32767.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA