>>> On 1/25/2014 at 12:40 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard that a resource intensive Java program was run on both a z/OS
> zIIP and zLinux IFL. zLinux was x10 faster. The conclusion was that the
> z/OS software stack was the bottle neck.

Given who I work for, I would truly like to believe that, but I have grave
doubts about such statements unless the sources are cited, etc.  I know for a
fact that Java on Linux for System z can be as much of a resource hog as on any
other platform.  It all really boils down to whether there are good performance
tools to work with, application programmers that are willing to not treat
hardware as an infinite resource and all groups involved able to work together.

I'm pretty sure it's true with any platform: application changes can bring
orders of magnitude improvements in performance.  System, JVM, or other tuning
can at best provide percentage improvements.

Mark Post