It seems to me that the piece makes it amply clear that management
ineptitude and not the failure/penetration of some security scheme was
the root cause of this debacle.

We need to avoid representing mainframes as inherently secure.  RACF
and its competitors, z/Architecture proper, z/OS encryption
facilities, and the like make excellent mainframe security attainable.
 If these facilities go unused or are misused, security breaches can,
almost certainly will occur on mainframes too.

What til now has saved us if that it is uneconomic to connect a
mainframe to the net as some idiot's plaything.   The mainframe
exploits I am familiar with---There have been some---were the work of
insiders/sysprogs, and they were not qualitatively different from
other sorts of white-color crime, embezzlement and the like.

To repeat myself now, mainframes can be made very secure indeed; but
mostly they are not; and the notion that a mainframe qua mainframe is
magically secure is dangerous nonsense..

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA