On 14 March 2014 13:49, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Has anybody ever had a VOLSER which was not exactly 6 non-blank
> characters for a regularly used volume? Especially any trailing blanks?

Decades ago the university I worked at had a standard of Nnnnn and
Fnnnn for Native and Foreign tapes, respectively. I don't know why
they were all five characters, but surmise that there were occasional
historic reasons to have slots labeled with a suffix. Regardless, they
are perfectly legal volsers. For some reason many people have insisted
to me over the years that not only must tape volsers be all numeric,
but that leading zeros will be inferred if not supplied. Both these
claims are untrue. The rules for tape volsers are not different from
those for disks.

> 2) Has any commercial shop ever used non-numeric tape volume serials for
> normal in-house tapes? If so, why?

Yes - see above. Well, perhaps a university is not commercial in the
sense you mean, but we were very much a production shop, and not a
nest of developers.

> I ask because, at least historically, CA-1's support of non-number tape
> serials was "difficult" (needed some sort
> of mapping exit as I recall).

Heh... We were a very early installation of what is now CA's ASM2
archival system. In those days, it used IEHMOVE (cringe) to offload
data to tape, and the generated control statements included a full six
bytes of tape volser, which predictably IEHMOVE didn't like. Well, not
so much didn't like, but treated the characters after the trailing
blank as a comment, with at times disastrous results.

Tony H.