John McKown writes:
> There is a thread over on TSO-REXX about splitting up a "string" into
> "volume serials". This has occasioned two questions to me.
>
> 1) Has anybody ever had a VOLSER which was not exactly 6 non-blank
> characters for a regularly used volume? Especially any trailing blanks?

RACF for z/VM labels its database (mini)disks with the 4-character
volser "RACF" for the primary. The backup one is "RACFBK".
When the RACF databases are shared between z/VM systems (for example,
in any Single System Image configuration) those minidisks need to be
full volumes in order for z/VM to propagate RESERVE/RELEASE. In that
case, those volsers appear on the real volumes. Depending on the
customer, some keep the default labels and some take the needed
non-trivial actions to get RACF to use different labels.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Linux and System z Technical Consultant