On 3/14/2014 10:49 AM, John McKown wrote:
There is a thread over on TSO-REXX about splitting up a "string" into
"volume serials". This has occasioned two questions to me.

1) Has anybody ever had a VOLSER which was not exactly 6 non-blank
characters for a regularly used volume? Especially any trailing blanks?

All the time. Right now I'm looking at volumes LAN01, LAN02 and LAN03 which are EAVs holding large zFS data sets for use by DFS/SMB server.

2) Has any commercial shop ever used non-numeric tape volume serials for
normal in-house tapes? If so, why? I ask because, at least historically,
CA-1's support of non-number tape serials was "difficult" (needed some sort
of mapping exit as I recall).

Define "commercial." :)

All of our 3590 tape cartridges are labeled Annnnn if they are blue (3590-J) and Bnnnnn if they are green (3590-K). Presumably, when we get some newer-technology drives in house, those tapes will be labeled Cnnnnn and so forth.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc