Makes me curious of the lists opinion on if z/OS LPARs are usually able to
contact an internet site, or are commonly isolated?
I seem to have formed the impression that it's quite common to have a path
out/in (typically via firewalling...) is that impression accurate?
It would seem to me that having a product work during initialization, then
contacting a license server using, say, the CPUID just as vendor keys often do,
to see if this is a licensed install would potentially be an option too? Of
course only useful where a network path to the provider is permitted so would
be back to manual registration keys for those where it is not...
And not suggesting that is hackproof either, and I note the anecdotes that some
sites have done the wrong thing, although if they had to actively hack I
suspect 'they' would pause. Enabling more automation through connectivity
rather than the expiring keys that I also remember would seem a nicer solution.
Thoughts?