On 03/28/2014 07:39 AM, John McKown wrote:
> This has been an interesting discussion. I understand why vendors "lock"
> software to specific machines and dates. Especially in the non-corporate
> world. But I had another evil thought. I wonder how many z/OS system exist
> which are not connected to the Internet. Not accessible to the Internet,
> but can access the Internet, to do things such as software delivery such as
> IBM's SMPE can do.
> Evil idea:
> 1) Have an execution key which encodes the valid CPUID and run date
> interval (upper and lower date).
> 2) If the key is good, just run - but tell the user if the key is going to
> expire within 30 days, via a "nice" WTO.
> 3) if the CPUID validates, but the date is expired:
> 3.1) IP connect to support site to log key expiration and then run
> normally. Don't tell the user anything.
> 3.2) if you can't connect to the support site & the key expiration is less
> than 31 days, issue a strong warning via a WTO.
> 3.3) if you can't connect to the support site & the key expiration is
> greater than 30 days, refuse to run.
> 4) if the CPUID is invalid & the program _can_ IP connect to the vendor
> site.
> 4.1) Use GeoIP to validate the incoming IP's country of origin.
> 4.1.1) If in a "good" country, allow software to run. Vendor documents and
> sues user's company.
> 4.1.2) if in a "bad" country, execute "nasty user" code (see below)
> 5) if the CPUID is invalid & the program cannot IP connect to the vendor
> site, execute "nasty user" code.
>
> Nasty user code: Write some code which burns some CPU, the amount to burn
> would need to be something that the nasty user would expect. Then go
> through a fairly long chain of branches (to complicate branch tracing), and
> finally abend with an S0C4-4 trying to overlay low core. If the user is
> indeed a "thief", then what is the likelihood that they will have an expert
> which could resolve this problem? And they can't call your support because
> that would give them away.
>
> Evil quotient: too little; just right; too extreme.

I seem to recall a case where the vendor wanted to change contract terms
at renewal in a way that was unacceptable to our corporate management
and it took several months of negotiations past the formal expiration of
license between our lawyers and theirs before a renewal agreement was
finally reached.  We had been a customer for at least a decade, had
other products from the vendor, and it was clear it was in both party's
interest that some agreement would eventually be reached; but we lived
on temporary keys for several months.  Any sort of automated validation
system would have to be flexible enough to allow for unusual cases like
this.

-- Joel C. Ewing, Bentonville, AR jcew...@acm.org