I saw this same message before. We had a guy here that ran a tcp trace during the connection process, moved it to a linux workstation and used TCPDUMP? on it. What he determined was the windows server we were trying to connect to had a checkpoint firewall and it actually was re-writting the first two byes of the cert. There was a setting that had to change. I know you said no firewalls BUT is it possible that something else is doing this on the linux server? A setting in VSFTP maybe? He left doc somewhere and if you're interested I'll dig it up.