sipp...@sg.ibm.com (Timothy Sipples) writes:
> z/VM performs such magic in at least three different ways: Discontiguous
> Saved Segments, Named Saved Systems, and VM Data Spaces. These mechanisms
> are probably somewhat relevant to z/OS when it operates as a z/VM guest.
>
> I hate to disagree with Jim Mulder. :-) But I'm going to disagree with his
> absolute "No." Specifically and as an example, Java on z/OS does some
> interesting things with shared memory that, in my view, fit the question as
> stated.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014i.html#66 z/OS physical memory usage with
multiple copies of same load module at different virtual addresses
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014i.html#67 z/OS physical memory usage with
multiple copies of same load module at different virtual addresses
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014i.html#68 z/OS physical memory usage with
multiple copies of same load module at different virtual addresses

having continued to work on 370 all during the FS period ... even
periodically ridiculing FS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

... when FS failed, there was mad rush to get stuff back into the 370
product pipelines (during FS which was to totally replace 370, lots of
370 activity was suspended &/or killed, lack of 370 products during the
period was credited with giving clone processors a market foothold)
... which contributed to decision to release lots of the stuff that I
had been doing ... some old email:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

an extremely small subset of the page-mapped filesystem stuff was
released as discontiguous saved segments. part of the issue was that FS
was going to be paged-mapped filesystem as single-level-store ... but
done so very badly that it gave paged-mapped filesystem a bad name.  so
a lot of work that I had done on cms code to have it run in shared
segments was released ... but a drasticly reduced subset of the CP & CMS
support (w/o paged mapped filesystem support) was released as
discontiguous saved segments. some related recent discussion over
in a.f.c.:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014i.html#69 IBM Programmer Aptitude Test
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014i.html#70 IBM Programmer Aptitude Test

Part of the issue was that FS single-level-store was somewhat brought
over from tss/360 w/o any performance improvements. I mentioned as
undergraduate I got to play with cp67/cms on weekends sometimes sharing
the 360/67 with IBM SE playing with tss/360. We both did the same
synthetic benchmark workload for fortran edit, compile, link &
execute. I could show 35 simulated cp67/cms user test that had better
throughput and response than he did with 4 simulated tss/360 user test.
I claimed when I did the cms paged-mapped filesystem, I had learned all
the stuff not to do from watching tss/360. With cms paged-mapped
filesystem that had three times the throughput of the standard cms
filesystem (on same disks and hardware). However, it wasn't enough to
overcome the prejudice resulting from the FS failure.

past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#mmap

as an aside ... I also felt a little rivalry with the multics group
one floor up in 545 tech sq ... which was also a virtual memory
paged mapped filesystem.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

Multics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics

from above:

Multics implemented a single level store for data access, discarding the
clear distinction between files (called segments in Multics) and process
memory. The memory of a process consisted solely of segments which were
mapped into its address space. To read or write to them, the process
simply used normal CPU instructions, and the operating system took care
of making sure that all the modifications were saved to disk. In POSIX
terminology, it was as if every file was mmap()ed; however, in Multics
there was no concept of process memory, separate from the memory used to
hold mapped-in files, as Unix has. All memory in the system was part of
some segment, which appeared in the file system; this included the
temporary scratch memory of the process, its kernel stack, etc.

... snip ...

some of the CTSS people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatible_Time-Sharing_System

had gone to the 5th flr and multics ... others had gone to the IBM
science center on 4th flr and did cp40 (later morphs into cp67 and then
vm370), internal network, lots of performance and online stuff, as well
as the technology used for the internal network and corporate sponsored
univ. BITNET. GML was also invented at the science center in 1969 (a
decade later morphs into international standard SGML, and another decade
morphs into HTML at CERN).