On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:56:09 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 07/30/2014 at 06:40 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>That is one of the dumbest, most hostile behaviors I have ever seen
>>in an editor (but TSO edit isn't unique here).  If I do a find and
>>get no hits (very possibly because I mistyped the search target) a
>>well-behaved editor should leave the file position unchanged.
>
>I disagree, although having an option would be more user friendly, as
>would optional first and last operands on FIND.

As would NEXT and PREV.

What does repeat FIND do once you're at the end of the file?  If it
repeats the search from the opposite end in the same direction, I
can see some use for the behavior.  Still, I prefer ISPF's convention
of issuing an error message on the first unsuccessful FIND, and
wrapping on the next -- friendlier in the case of typos in the search
target.

I regularly use ISPF in batch --  no terminal necessary.  So can one
use ISPF Edit in line mode?

-- gil