Arthur Fichtl has made a very important point.

The world is what it is; and systems behave as they behave,
distressing some and pleasing others.

Macro facilities can be used to mitigate, even eliminate such
perceived deficiencies.  In particular,  Paul Gilmartin can have
something closer to his heart's desire without depriving others of
behavior they prefer, perhaps only because it is what they are
accustomed to.

The notion that things can function as we would wish ab initio, out of
the box, and without programming, is a naif, utopian one.  Worse, it
is certainly chimerical.  None of us can have things the way we want
them all or even most of the time because others want them different.

The best we can hope for is a set of primitives, building blocks, that
is complete in the sense that they can be used together to build much
more complex, disparate facilities.   They and their completeness; not
lamentation about the notional inadequacies of others' designs, should
be the focus of our attention.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA