While conceptually XML sounds nice, the problem would seem to be the
extreme volume of data involved, millions of messages daily for large
installations.  Uncompressed XML is incredibly inefficient in storage
requirements, and compressing/uncompressing XML has processing costs.
>From my viewpoint I would be much more concerned about the ongoing and
continual additional overhead costs an XML Syslog would add to the daily
operation of a z/OS shop, including archival and search costs, not just
the implementation costs.

System automation tools that are common to many z/OS shops already can
already incur significant overhead in processing system log records, so
one would not want to add to that by significantly increasing the size
or processing cost of reading log records.

While it would be nice to have an easy way of associating things like
Sysplex, System, and LPAR names, etc. with messages, you really need to
do this in a way that doesn't replicate what for a given system is
essentially constant information on millions of log entry records.

At times when I have had to search through system logs, I have given
thought about how much easier it might be if they were structured into a
relational database, but obviously that would not a practical design for
direct recording of SYSLOG  as one of the roles of SYSLOG is to track
z/OS startup and failures affecting the z/OS relational database servers.

There is a basic design conflict inherent with the existing SYSLOG
between making a record terse enough for efficient archival and message
automation versus creating a human-readable message for consoles and
batch job logs.

As long as the SYSLOG is also allowed to contain messages generated by
local installation code and local application code, all rules on
structure of messages become unenforceable by z/OS.  Not sure how to get
around that.
        Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org