Commenting just on the issue of "Syslog (in the 'nix sense) structure."

No, RFC 5424 is not widely observed.

Syslog epitomizes the aphorism about "God loves standards -- that's why he
created so many of them." About the only Syslog "standard" that everyone almost
follows is RFC 3164, and even that is not followed very well. (And it's not
even a standard, that's why I put it in quotes. It "describes observed
behavior.") Bits and pieces of RFC 5424/25/26/27 are in wide use (TCP/IP,
longer messages -- but not the header.) There is a "standard" for XML Syslog
(RFC 3195) but so far as I know *no one* uses it.

There have been several "common" attempts to impose some structure on Syslog,
most notably the "Common Event Expression" endeavor pushed by MITRE. I don't
think anyone is paying attention.

There are two proprietary structures imposed by a particular vendor with some
success:

"CEF" is an ArcSight invention. (ArcSight is now owned by HP.) It imposes a
rigorous structure on Syslog messages with a rigid header and specific field
tags. ArcSight may be the most widely-implement SIEM.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_information_and_event_management if you
are not familiar with the term SIEM; it's what your non-Z brethren think of
when you say "computer security" the way you think of RACF. [But no, they are
not analogous in function.])

"LEEF" is a Q1 Labs invention. Q1 labs is now owned by IBM, and I believe IBM
is making good headway with the product, QRadar. LEEF is quite similar to CEF,
but not quite so rigid.

That's probably enough for a mainframe list. Anyone with questions can reply
on- or off-line.

Charles