Anthem's stolen customer data not encrypted; But under federal law,
health insurance companies don't have to encrypt user data.
http://www.cnet.com/news/anthems-hacked-customer-data-was-not-encrypted/

In early part of century, I was co-author of financial industry privacy
standard ... and we had some meetings with gov. employees that had
drafted the original HIPAA legislation back in the 70s. They mentioned
that special interests had kept it from being passed for decades ... and
even once it was passed, there were no provisions for actually doing
anything/security about it.

we were also tangentially involved in the cal. state data breach
legislation ... having been brought in to help wordsmith the cal. state
electronic signature act.

A lot of the participants were heavily involved in privacy issues and
had done detailed, in-depth public surveys. The #1 issue was identity
theft, primarily of the form of fraudulent financial transactions as the
result of breaches and there was little or nothing being done about the
breaches. An issue is typically an entity/institution takes security
measures in self protection, In the case of the breaches, the
institution wasn't at risk ... it was their customers. It was hoped that
the publicity from the breach notifications would prompt breach
countermeasures.