Graham:

I can tell you that IBM does have a phased approach for this type of data
center migration/consolidation.  I think I had mentioned I was involved a
project almost exactly like this where there were numerous agencies first
consolidating from 20 data centers to 2, then modernizing on a single,
consistent software and tools infrastructure.

DR + Disaster Recovery (sometimes referred to as Business
Continuation/Continuity)

Regards,

Mitch Mccluhan
Application Modernization Consultant