(snip, someone wrote)
>> I don't know power consuption, but nowadays it's not hard
>> to get semiconductor-based power supply which generater 60Hz
>> or 50Hz or any value you want (within some range).

(snip, someone else wrote)
(sorry for losing the attributions, I am copying from usenet)
> I suppose a 1403 requires a couple kW.  That shouldn't be an obstacle:

Yes, but an added complication.

>From one 1403 manual, I see some gears that are specified for 50Hz
and for 60Hz, but I am not sure what they do. As far as I can tell,
the train is powered by a synchronous motor (or close enough).
I presume you don't want the train running 1.2 times as fast.

I suspect that only synchronous motors need to run off a power
converter, which would allow for a smaller converter, but more
complication in wiring.

>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current

> CDC equipment circa 1970 used 400 Hz with rotating mechanical
> converters.

As I understood it at the time, larger S/360 and S/370 also
used motor-generator power supplies, though I don't know the
output frequency.  The higher frequency means less filtering.

But yes, you can run a CDC machine off an electronic converter.

> Provided considerable immunity to power surges.  Flywheels?

-- glen