From: Staller, Allan
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:56
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: Limit number of frames of real storage per job

MCCAFCTH is not applicable in this case. You are correct that this is a LPAR
level control.

The only "out of the box" solution I can think of is to run the job "V=R' . See
VRREGN in SYS1.PARMLIB(IEASYS00).
NOTE: An IPL is*REQUIRED* to change this value.....

Of course, you could write a "driver program" to do what you want. i.e. obtain
the real storage and then invoke JAVA. JZOS *may* be of some help here.

HTH,

<snip>
I would like to ask more experienced sysprogs regarding real storage manager.

Is it possible to limit number of frames of real storage on job level? The
MEMLIMIT/REGION parameters limit virtual memory of whole address space however
I would like to limit the only real memory while the virtual memory remain as
it is.

The reason why I need it; I would like to test the performance of a (Java)
application in case of lack of frames of real storage. In case of shortage of
real storage a paging is expected. And I would like to simulate this situation
to see impact a performance of the Java application.

I have found MCCAFCTH (defined in IEAOPTxx) but this seems to be LPAR (not job)
specifics and moreover this defines length of available frame queue (not number
of frames per job).
Thx for hints.
</snip>