On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Vince Coen <vbc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Err you have to read this a little closer :
>
> " leaders of the U.S. office of personal management .. explain "
>

> So these people experienced it, what exactly ?
>
> Knowledge of any form of IT !! ?
>
> There again could have down a simple search on Google and believed what
> they read on the internet and even worse via Google.
>

> There again when I see the date on Google I double check :)
>
> This shortly is a case of the blind leading the blind, no ?
>
> As for the case of mainframes being open to hacking - well any system can
> if the user name/password system is not maintained and likewise the front
> end concentrator not have its own security fully in place.
>
> High secure systems only accept user login's from known IP and MAC
> addresses that are pre-stored.
>
> As a remote worked these days I have to declare all computer kit I use to
> access client system with:
>
> My IP addresses

​Good, but can be gotten around (with difficulty) if you can mess with the
host's ARP cache.​

> The MAC code for each box

​Easy to spool a MAC address using a Linux machine.​

> My encrypted password if their system can handle it - in my case I use
> 1024 byte folded coding .

​This is the best. I've not looked at this much, but it may be possible to
circumvent by a determined person with an MITM attack. ​

What I use for things such as GMail, GitHub, and Twitter is Two Factor
authentication. For GMail & GitHub, there is a Google app which is a
"secure keyed time token" generator. For Twitter, they SMS text a 6 digit
code to my phone. So for any of those sites, I must have my phone on me.
The place where I work _used_ to have a VPN with a dedicated secure token
key issued to you. Everybody had their own token key. You could use it only
to log on using your assigned id. Your key + other id == no connection. But
it was "too expensive". And "not a Microsoft solution". So bye-bye.

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown