1) HSM LIST TTOC(408922). Note predecessor or successor volumes
2) HSM LIST TTOC(predecessor) or successor
3) the listing should show hsm.back,.... (depending on setting in arccmd00) as
the (first or last) dataset on 408922. This should be the same dataset as (the
1st or last) dataset on the predecessor/successor volume.
4) Examine the BCDS and/or DCOLLECT records to find the "English" name of this
dataset. (e.g. USER.SOURCE.LIB).
5) recall/recover this dataset to dasd
6) HBDEL  'english name'  ALL ( or the specific backup version if desired)
7) perform your recycle
8) re-backup the dataset in question and migrate/delete as needed.

As you can see from the message, connected sets can only be recycled if 40
volumes or less.
The above may need to be performed several times to break the existing
connected set into chunks of 40 volumes or less.

HTH,

<snip>
I am getting the following message trying to recycle a volume:

ARC0445I VOLUME 408922 CANNOT BE RECYCLED, REASON= 0028, EXPLANATION: CONNECTED
SET TOO LONG

Reason 28:

28        CONNECTED SET TOO LONG: DFSMShsm will not recycle connected sets
          exceeding 40 volumes. The volume specified belongs to a
          connected set exceeding this limit.

These are spill volumes. What can I do to fix this ?

The list with DSI options displayed 100's of files on these tapes.

We are z/os v1r13.
</snip>