On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:06 PM, J. P. <plumbersar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are asking IBM to provide a new access method to read the file(s)
> backward with your request.  And there is no guarantee that the actual
> access method invoked by the program(s) involved will be compatible with
> your new backwards access method (lets call it LBAM, shall we?).  For
> example, the program might be written to use BSAM (or even EXCP) while your
> new LBAM is only setup to support QSAM.

​I don't think that's what ​Lizette is asking for. Assume that there exists
GDG.G0002V00 through GDG.G0007V00 in the GDS. Normally GDG(0) gets you
GDG.G0007V00. That is the _highest_ "goovoo" number in the GDS. Lizette
wants a way to do a relative generation ask for the _lowest_ "goovoo" in
the GDS. So that it would be possible have a series of identical jobs run
to process each member of the GDS from "oldest" to "newest". I.e.

//SOMESTEP EXEC PGM=SOMEPROG
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//INPUT DD DISP=(OLD,DELETE),DSN=GDG(0),GDGORDER=FIFO

In the above, the first time the job with the step is run, GDG.G0002V00 is
processed and deleted. The second time it is run, GDG.G0003V00 is processed
and deleted. And so forth. There is no way to do this using current JCL.
The only way that I know is to run something which does in inquire on the
GDS, get the oldest GDS entry, then do a dynamic allocate on it, and
finally process it.

> Your request is not going to end well.
>
> J.P.
>
> Lizette recently posted:
>
> I created my first RFE, so be gentle.
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=81822
>
> Use the GDGORDER parameter for a DD that specifies the base name of a GDG
> data set (a GDG-all request). This keyword specifies the order in which the
> individual generation data sets (GDSs) will be concatenated.
>
> This RFE is to request that the GDGORDER on JCL apply not only to the base
> but the individual generation numbers as well.
>
> For example.  If I code //GDG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=GDGBASE,GDGORDER=FIFO   I
> can get to the oldest entry.
> I would also like to see
>
> //GDG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=GDGBASE(0),GDGORDER=FIFO
> //GDG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=GDGBASE(-1),GDGORDER=FIFO
> and so forth.
>
> This is to allow the reading of GDG Base backwards and forward as well as
> get selected entries.
>
> If you think this would be beneficial, please vote.
>
> Thank you
> Lizette

Werner Heisenberg is driving down the autobahn. A police officer pulls
him over. The officer says, "Excuse me, sir, do you know how fast you
were going?"
"No," replies Dr. Heisenberg, "but I know where I am."

Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing
to a building as being maintenance -- Jim Horning

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown