At 00:38 -0600 on 01/13/2016, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote about Re: RFE to enhance GDGORDER in JCL:

 >IOW: //GDG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=GDGBASE,GDGORDER=FIFO when there are 5
generations yields:

Could work, but it is not always known that there are indeed 5 generations. Lizette wants the oldest and the access method should find that oldest entry no matter what the quantity of versions there are.

I may not have worded my comment correctly. All I was saying was that in a GDG with 5 generations, going DSN=GDGBASE,GDGORDER=FIFO was the equivalent of a concatenation using relative generation numbers and listing them in oldest (-4) to newest (0) generation number. I also noted (or implied) that this method relieves the user from knowing the number of generations currently in use.