Lizette Koehler wrote:

>I created my fist RFE, so be gentle.

"Really Fine Enhancement!" ;-D

>Use the GDGORDER parameter for a DD that specifies the base name of a GDG data
>set (a GDG-all request). This keyword specifies the order in which the
>individual generation data sets (GDSs) will be concatenated.

'Concatenated' - means you want to READ them in another order. No writing to
GDG of course.

>This RFE is to request that the GDGORDER on JCL apply not only to the base but
>the individual generation numbers as well.

That is a good RFE.

>If you think this would be beneficial, please vote.

I have. Only once! I want to vote 1 million times, but no... ;-)

J.P. wrote:

>"Your request is not going to end well. "

Really? This is an enhancement. Currently the logic is from youngest to oldest,
but she wants to reverse the reading from the oldest to youngest. I believe
there is a table (in the address space) used by that access method which gets
all the GDG versions and then list them one by one based on available catalog
entries and JCL DD entries at STEP level. After that, that list is then made
available to the program in the JCL. All she asks is, simply reverse the order
in a control block or area where that GDG version lists are stored temporarily.

Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>I can not see the RFE text to comment ...

Did you registered?

>IOW: //GDG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=GDGBASE,GDGORDER=FIFO when there are 5
generations yields:

Could work, but it is not always known that there are indeed 5 generations.
Lizette wants the oldest and the access method should find that oldest entry no
matter what the quantity of versions there are.

Currently as John said, only method is to get the GDG base, get the # of
versions and move on from oldest to youngest. Tedious, but only method
available which may or may not meddle with that DISP=(OLD,DELETE).

Good luck Lizette, you will need all the help. I remember your previous posts
on this subject.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht