On 29/03/2016 11:26 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:01:07 +0800, David Crayford wrote:
Slickedit has full ISPF emulation mode and runs on Linux. It's not free
though! The standard version is $149, professional is $299. ...

I believe Slick has its IDE.  We don't use much beyond its diff because
we're committed to a competitor.

I find Slick on Solaris way slow; marginally usable on a fast LAN; unusable
via VPN.  I think it's X11 overhead; feels as if it paints the screen pixel-by-
pixel.

Yes, I remember you mentioning that before. IIRC, the same could be said for the z/OS X11, which Slickedit dropped. It's way to easy to use SMB or NFS and run Slickedit on Windows/Mac/Linux. I edited an 8 GB binary file, scrolled to the bottom. Turned hex mode on, made and edit and saved the file in a matter of seconds. Try that in Eclipse and the lights will dim!

How do you get to its ISPF emulation?  Some of my colleages would
treasure that.

Tools->Options->Keyboard and Mouse->Emulation->ISPF

To me "full ISPF emulation" means macros in Rexx.  No?  Which Rexx?

The scripting language is the proprietary SlickC which is a hybrid of REXX, C and Smalltalk for the OO. It has a parse instruction and implementes most of the REXX string handling functions. Slickedit has a command line which is why I love it so much. You can bind any keys to commands which gives you serious productivity as opposed to the clunky mouse.

-- gil