Hi! Yes the CTNID is case sensitive.

The best description today can be found in the Server Time Protocol
Implementation Guide, SG24-7281:

The CTN ID has the format [STP Network ID] - [ETR Network ID] and is the
basis for the establishment of the Coordinated Timing Network. The format
of these fields is:
CTN ID = "cccccccc - xx"
Where
cccccccc is the STP Network ID and xx is the ETR Network ID:

> The STP network ID is case sensitive and is one to eight characters. The
valid characters are A – Z, a – z, 0 – 9, -, and _.

> The ETR Network ID is a numeric value ranging between 0 and 31.

Kieron Hinds
z/OS Integration Test / System z Platform Evaluation Test
IBM Systems and Technology Group

From:   Nathan Astle <tcpipat...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   06/15/2016 09:28 AM
Subject:        Re: Sysplex Timer issue
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Hi,

It turned out that the CTN-ID value was coded in Upper case and what we
used to build the CF was in Lower case.

I am still trying to see if CTN-ID values are case sensitive.

Does anybody know if CTN-ID has such constraints ?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Kieron D Hinds <kdhi...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> It sounds like you have a situation where the CF you're attempting to
IPL
> is running on a CPC with a different CTNID than the CTNID of the CPC[s]
> where other images are already active (z/OS and CFs).
> I'd have to compare the CTNID in the output of the IXL160E as well as
the
> IEA386I from the D ETR of active system[s] in the sysplex to know for
> sure, but if it the case then you'll need to get the CTNIDs to match.
>
> Is this the first attempt to activate the CF - if so was STP configured
on
> the CF CPC? Versus if it was after a configuration change made to an
> existing CF, do you expect the STP configuration or the CTNID to change?
>
> Changing CTNIDs *can* be disruptive so please check with your local or
IBM